BOOK REFLECTION: The Fault in our Stars

Monday, April 14, 2014

“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” 

-John Green

I love reading books, if you live alone without TV and have nothing to do, probably you'll have the same feeling that I have for being a bookworm.
But as far as I am concerned, this is the first time I'll be having a book post.

I've been noticing posts in tumblr, weheartit, twitter and some in facebook about this book by John Green. The fault in our stars. Well, out of curiosity, I decided to download an ebook (since I cant find any available in the bookstore and if there is, I don't have the money ^_^)

For those who doesn't have any idea, here's Wikipedia to help ya.

The Fault in Our Stars is the fourth novel by author John Green, published in January 2012. The story is narrated by a sixteen-year-old cancer patient named Hazel, who is forced by her parents to attend a support group, where she subsequently meets and falls in love with the seventeen-year-old Augustus Waters, an ex-basketball player and amputee.

MY REFLECTION: (spoiler ALERT!)
The book is narrated by Hazel, the humor and sarcasm tickles me and my imagination. Hazel is not the demure girl you know, she's the sarcastic, funny but kinda mean teen who-seemed-to-hate-the-world-because-of-cancer-until-she-met-Gus.
I love Hazel's and Augustus' conversations, the way they flirt with each other and the way they love each other. The twist about Augustus dying and not Hazel was common but it still turned out to be shocking. You don't want him to die, you don't want them to die. I hate the fact that I am such a cry baby that every scene near the end that I imagined literally hurt my chest, its heartbreaking, the same way when I cried for my mom's death. The feeling was freakin mutual. The Amsterdam scene also made me remember my mom because she went there when she was still alive.
Basically, this damn book made me sad not because of love or whatever, but because it reminded me so much of my mom that I started to miss her like hell.
There are some words that I can't understand but I realized that if you don't have the patience of reading new words & things then STOP reading, because reading is not just about knowing life but its also about learning and what I learned from this book is make the most out of your life, love as much as you can. But even if you know that you'll die soon don't waste the chance of letting yourself feel what love is like.

Here are some of my fave lines:
--
"But I believe in true love, you know? I don't believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your live does."

"You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you"

"I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."

"The world is not a wish-granting factory"
--
This is one of the perks in reading a book, you get epiphanies slapped in your face. So lovely! :D
Thanks to FOX, they decided to film it and since I know the ending, I hope I won't cry again. 
Here's the trailer and I tell you dearest friends, some lines (fine, the BEST LINES) are literally the same with the book (thank heavens!)
Feel free to tell me what you can say with the book too! 

Thanks for dropping by!
Peace out!
XOXO - esthermaris!

You Might Also Like

1 comments